The Slater Gym Group knows and understands that you care how information about you is used and shared, and we appreciate your trust in us to do that carefully and sensibly.
We collect and process personal data about you to provide the services you use, operate our business, meet our contractual and legal obligations, protect the security of our systems and our members, and fulfil other legitimate interests.
We are committed to protecting your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information. Our policy is not just an exercise in complying with the law, but a continuation of our respect for you and your personal information.
1. Who controls the information collected?
Any personal information provided to, or gathered by, us is controlled by the Slater Gym Group, addressed at Corner of Umtata and Bashee Streets, Three Rivers, Vereeniging, 1935, Republic of South Africa. A number of suppliers act as data processors on our behalf from time to time.
2. What personal information do we collect?
Personal information is information about you as an individual, and includes information that identifies you and that can be used to contact you. This includes such information as your name, identity number, birth date, e-mail address, mailing address, telephone number, banking information, credit card number, and the like. It may also include information about your health and fitness levels and goals, if you have communicated these to us. We also collect data about the services and products that you purchase from us, the frequency of your visits to our clubs and about the specific equipment, classes and services that you take advantage of, so that we may constantly strive to offer you the best range of fitness options. We also create information that becomes part of the personal information we hold about you, such as your membership number and the photograph on your membership card.
We may also collect the following information:
Special personal information: The term "special personal information" in this context refers to information relating to your religious or philosophical beliefs, race or ethnic origin, trade union membership, political opinions, health, sexual life or criminal behaviour. Whilst we do not generally collect special personal information unless it is volunteered by you, we do specifically collect health data to the extent that it is required to assess your readiness for physical exercise. We will use health information provided by you exclusively to serve you better and meet your particular needs. By providing this information to us, you are consenting to our using it in the manner set out in this policy.
Personal information about children: We do not knowingly collect personal information from children (under 18 years of age) without the permission of their parent or guardian. As a parent or guardian, please do not to allow your children to submit personal information without your permission.
Photographs to be used with your membership card: In the interests of security and the prevention of crime, we take a digital photograph of each member to whom a membership card is issued. We will use that photograph to verify your identify when you attend any one of our clubs. If you do not wish to provide your photograph, you may decline, and you may ask us to delete your photograph at a later date. However, if we do not have your photograph on your member profile, we may ask you to provide suitable identification to verify your identity each time you attend any of our clubs such as your identity document, identity card, passport or driver's licence.
Information about other individuals: If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his/her personal data and receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices.
Monitoring: We may monitor and record communications with you (such as telephone conversations and emails) for the purpose of quality assurance, training, fraud prevention and compliance).
Interaction via our website or otherwise: We want to hear from our members regarding any issues or comments they may have with respect to their memberships or any services or products offered by our clubs. We may record this information and transmit it to our clubs in order to address them in the appropriate manner. When you contact us, by post, telephone, fax, email, SMS, live chat, through our website, our mobile app or through social media, we collect the information that you disclose to us. This may include details such as your name, address, telephone, fax, email and telephone number, traffic data, location data, web logs, the resources that you access and other communication data as well as your questions, queries, inquiries, comments, complaints or requests. In short, if you correspond with us though any media, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
Surveys: From time to time, we may ask you to complete surveys which we use for research purposes and which we will use, for example, to improve our products and services and develop new ones. We will collect the information that you provide, if you respond. You are, however, under no obligation to respond to, or participate in, any surveys.
Video Surveillance: We use video surveillance in our clubs to protect the rights, property and safety of our gym premises, our employees, members and visitors. If you have any queries in relation to the use of CCTV operating in, and around, our clubs please contact us.
Website and access portals: We may also collect personal information from visitors to our website and other access portals. This includes information you provide when you register to use our website, subscribe to any of our services, enquire about an event, place a reservation on our website, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our website or enter a competition, promotion or survey, and if you report a problem with our website. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and telephone number and financial and credit card information.
Statistical data: Whenever you visit our website, we may also automatically collect technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from, our website (including date and time), webpages you viewed, products and membership options you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any telephone number used to call our customer service number. This information helps us to build a profile of our users. Most of this data will be aggregated or is purely statistical, which means that we will not be able to identify you individually.
Aggregate Data: We may also combine your personal information with that of other individuals to create aggregate data which we will use, for example, to improve our products and services and develop new ones. Aggregate data is general information about groups of members but not about you as an individual.
Identifying Purposes: We will not use or disclose your personal information for any purpose other than those for which it was collected, except with your consent or as required or authorized by law.
3. Can I amend my own information?
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes. You may, at any time, review or update personally identifiable information that we hold about you by signing in to your account, if any, on our website or contacting us directly. To obtain a copy of any information that is not provided on our website you should contact us to make that request in terms of the Promotion of Access to Information Act, Act 2 of 2000. After receiving the request, we will notify you of when we expect to provide you with the information, and whether we require any fee for providing it to you.
If you wish us to remove personally identifiable information from our website, you should contact us to make your request. This may, however, limit the service we can provide to you.
Should we receive any request to access, edit or delete personal identifiable information, we shall first take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you access or otherwise taking any action. This is important to safeguard your information.
4. What do we do with personal information collected from you?
We will use your personal information to provide you with the services, products or information that you have requested, for administration purposes, to improve your website experience, and marketing. We may need to share your information with our service providers, associated organisations and agents for these purposes. More specifically, we may use your information to:
· carry out an identity check as part of your membership application;
· carry out a credit check as part of your membership application;
· bill you for using our services as part of your membership;
· keep you informed about our services, including operational matters relating to your membership;
· provide services relevant to you;
· facilitate bookings of classes and appointments with our own or third party service providers;
· confirm your attendance at exercise classes or lessons;
· allow you to monitor your gym attendance and usage of our facilities;
· share gym event photos on our internal social media platform (we will ask you for your permission before a picture is taken);
· contact you with offers or promotions based on our analysis of how you use our services and what we think will be of interest to you (unless you choose not to receive our marketing messages);
· respond to any questions, queries, complaints or concerns you might have about our services;
· understand how you use our services so as to assist us in developing relevant and updated services and programmes;
· administer and maintain membership records;
· improve our membership services platform;
· prevent or detect fraud or abuses of our website and other electronic platforms and enable third parties to carry out technical, logistical or other functions on our behalf;
· send you newsletters and promotions, and to conduct online surveys or surveys by telephone, prize draws, competitions and other promotions via email, telephone or post;
· collect your membership fees and any other payments that may be due to us from you;
· carry out research and statistical analysis to monitor how members use our services;
· prevent and detect fraud or other crimes and aid in the prosecution of offenders;
· facilitate staff administration and administration of your membership;
· process your job application if you should apply for employment at the Slater Gym Group.
5. Do we share information which we receive?
We are not in the business of selling member information to others. We do contract with trusted companies to act on our behalf to fulfil certain functions. We may use third party service providers to process or handle personal information on our behalf and to assist us with various services such as data processing, printing, mail distribution, content, advertising, data analytics and marketing. Some of our service providers are located outside of the Republic of South Africa. As a result, your personal information may be accessible to regulatory authorities in accordance with the law of these jurisdictions. We will take steps to ensure that such parties adhere to our policy with respect to the protection of your personal information.
Except as set out in this policy or as required or permitted by law, we will not sell or disclose any of your personal information to any other organization or transmit personal information to third parties without first obtaining your consent. We may, however, disclose information in the following cases:
· to enforce or apply our membership agreements;
· to protect the rights, property or safety of the Slater Gym Group, our employees, our members and other persons;
· to comply with a subpoena, warrant or order;
· to a police force, if required by law;
· to a person authorized by law or collective agreement;
· to an investigative body or government institution with appropriate authority and jurisdiction to compel us to do so;
· in emergency situations in which we believe that the life, health or safety of a member or other person may be in danger;
· to an agent retained by us in connection with the collection of your account;
· if all or a part of our business is sold, we may transfer information we have about you in preparation for, or as part of, completing that transaction.
Should we, at any time receive a query, inquiry or complaint which reasonably requires us to contact a third person in relation to such query, inquiry or complaint, we may decide to supply such other person with some (or all) of the information contained in your query, inquiry or complaint. Whilst we do this as infrequently as possible, the decision to supply such information and the nature and extent of the information supplied, falls within our sole discretion.
We may also release account and other personal information when we believe that such a release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce or apply our membership or other agreements. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer’s hard drive by your web browser when you visit any website. They allow information gathered on one web page to be stored until it is needed for use on another, allowing a website to provide you with a personalised experience and the website owner with statistics about how you use the website so that it can be improved.
Some cookies may last for a defined period of time, such as one day or until you close your browser. Others last indefinitely.
Your web browser should allow you to delete any you choose. It also should allow you to prevent or limit their use.
• to track how you use our website;
• to record whether you have seen specific messages we display on our website;
• to keep you signed in on our website;
• to record your answers to surveys and questionnaires on our website while you complete them;
• to record the conversation thread during a live chat with our team;
• to estimate our audience size and usage pattern;
• to store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our website according to your individual interests;
• to speed up your searches;
• to recognise you when you return to our website.
8. How secure is information about me?
We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personally identifiable information. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you.
9. What about links to other websites?
10. Where is my data stored?
All payment transactions will be processed, stored and encrypted by our bankers and their service providers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
11. Can I withdraw my consent?
Where we process your personal data based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw consent at any time, for example your consent to receive direct marketing. If you no longer want to receive marketing messages from us, please visit your profile section within the Member’s Area of the website where you can opt out. You can choose to opt out of all marketing or select your marketing preferences. Alternatively, if you are no longer a member, and wish to remove your consent to receive marketing content please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. For how long do you keep my information?
13. What choices do I have?
14. What happens when this policy be amended?
15. How can I contact the Slater Gym Group?